I’m all about creating steady and healthier habits! I believe that what we do every day is what determines our lives, and small healthy habits can add up to a healthier and happier life. “Healthy” is not a destination. It’s a lifelong journey; a combination of daily choices and habits.
Taking charge of your health and well-being
Research shows that healthy food, fitness, sleep and social support impact your overall health (Source: Sycamore Institute). The healthy habits I’m talking about on my blog center around these 4 key themes: healthy food, fitness, sleep and relationships. Because I believe, and research also shows, that once you have built good habits to eat healthy, stay active, sleep well and have positive social support, your health, mood, and happiness will improve.
Let’s start with building better habits with healthy food, fitness and sleep, which all lead to better physical health.
1. Healthy Food Habits
It’s never easy to make a change, especially when it comes to our health. However, I have found through my experiences that it’s so much easier to adopt healthy food habits that are easy and delicious. If it’s too hard, you’re not likely to stick to it. And if it tastes bland and doesn’t excite your tastebuds, you’ll run for the hills. But these 5 habits are relatively effortless to adopt into your lifestyle and will absolutely help:
5 healthy food habits:
1. Make tasty and healthy snacks readily available
2. Find recipes for veggies that you want to eat again and again (with 3 examples)
3. Learn to make healthy food swaps
4. Make a healthy grocery list and stick to it
5. Choose wisely when ordering takeout
Continue to read 5 Easy Healthy Food Habits You Can Start Adopting Immediately Without Fuss.
Sharing is caring. PIN this page to save it for later:
2. Healthy Fitness Habits
For about 200,000 years, humans have walked or ran a lot to hunt or find food. Even as recently as 200 years ago, we still did a lot of natural physical exercises by farming food, walking and doing manual labor. Physical fit was important just to survive. Yet today, most of us spend several hours a day sitting at a desk, in a car, or on our couch, and generally don’t have healthy fitness habits.
This is why is it important for most of us to develop healthy fitness habits and keep an active lifestyle. Here are 4 important ways to build better habits:
1. Start In A Small Way for Early Wins: The biggest mistake you could make at this stage is to go all-in and reform too much at once. We are creatures of habit, and we don’t fare well when we change too much.
2. Focus on Consistency, Not Perfection: Making small changes is beneficial because it allows you to focus on the fundamental factor that makes or breaks your long-term success: consistency.
3. Progress Slowly And Consistently: even small efforts will lead to growth and progress. Even if it doesn’t seem like much on a day-to-day or week-to-week basis, progress adds up. For example, if you add 20 yards to your total distance every week, that would compound to over half a mile in a year.
4. Having a Concrete Plan Leads to Results: Research shows that having a concrete plan leads to better habits. Having a concrete plan with “What, How Long, Where and When” helps get you results! It could be something like: Do a circuit routine (what) for twenty minutes (how long) in the living room (where) at 6 PM (when).
Click here to read the entire article on building healthy fitness habits.
3. Healthy Relationship Habits: Good Friends Are Key to a Happier Life
We all know intuitively that positive relationships with friends or family can make you happier and healthier. And yes, scientific research shows that it is true, and I wanted to share with you some information about it, because it really is an important topic. I have personally learned a lot from reading up on this. It has been life-changing in several ways, so I wanted to make sure I spend time to share a few interesting insights that will hopefully inspire you to become even better at building friendships!
Sharing is caring. You can also PIN this page to save it for later:
Read our other top posts on developing healthy habits
- 4 ways to keep in touch with friends and family when you’re in lockdownHaving been an expat myself for many years, I have a lot of international friends who are far away from their family and missing them. Despite the geographic challenge and shutdowns related to the virus, we […]
- Discover the Amazing Benefits of Walking Habits (And How to Walk More)Walking is one of the simplest, least intimidating, and most effective ways to stay active and boost our health. It’s also one of the best ways to do cardio and get fit. More importantly, walking is […]
- Simple and Easy Ways to Improve Your FriendshipsI remember moving to New York City in my early 20s. Living in a big, expensive city and short on budget, I used to invent all sorts of ways to make my friendships a bliss everyday. […]
- Good Friends Can Improve Your Health, And What You Can Do About ItWe all know intuitively that positive relationships with friends or family can make you happier and healthier. And yes, scientific research shows that it is true, and I wanted to share with you some information about […]
- How to Build Healthy Fitness Habits to Elevate Your Health and HappinessI still remember my early days of fitness. Everything was new and exciting, and I daydreamed about everything I could do and how it would impact my life. At the same time, everything was also frustrating, […]
- 10 Healthy Habits You Need in Your LifeI’m all about working on creating healthier habits! What we do every single day is what determines our lives, so small healthy habits each day add up to a healthier life. This list is meant to […]
- 14 Simple Ways to Be HealthierIn case you’re new around here, I’m big on keeping things simple. Life is difficult and complicated enough, right? One of my favorite ways to simplify life is to work on creating healthier habits. Once an […]